Wednesday 27 July 2011

A Day of Rest

Tuesday, 26th July.

This morning I opened the curtains to find a thick fog covering the landscape as far as the eye could see. It was clear it wasn't going to be a beach day.

After a breakfast of croissants, we piled into our rented VW Polo (incidentally the worst car I've ever driven - despite the Carro do Ano sticker in the back window) and headed off to nearby Nazaré for a look around. Again, we have been to Nazaré before, The Missus on more than one occasion, but we were last there in the winter and most things were closed.

I never really liked Nazaré. It reminds me of Blackpool. That said, in the height of summer it sort of has a charm about it that reveals why it's so popular. A bit like Blackpool, I suppose.

What I was really looking forward to, however, was another trip to a great restaurant called Mundus; a Brazilian-style place where there's a never ending supply of barbecued meats of varying types - like a Bem Brasil sort of affair. Problem was, we couldn't remember exactly where it was.

When The Missus first came here with Lesley in the summer of 2007 on a property search, they were introduced to Mundus by an estate agent. When we returned at the tail-end of the same year (that's The Missus, Pooky and I plus Lesley and her other half, Jac) we managed to find it.

This time, though, it was just the three of us and, unable to find a wi-fi signal anywhere and our TomTom not helping, we spent half an hour driving round Nazaré and neighbouring Sitio to no avail.

By the way, I'll apologise at this point for the incorrect use (or omission of) punctuation on the Portuguese words. I can generally get by in Spanish but struggle hopelessly with the Portuguese language.

Anyway, we never did find Mundus (even after reversing the entire length of a car-lined one way street that I'd inadvertently driven up the wrong way) and found little else to inspire us so returned (via some very precarious roads when the satnav took us a little off-piste) to Sao Martinho where we had a rather forgettable lunch of swordfish (me) and calamari (Pooks and The Missus) at a little cafe down one of the side streets off the beach.

At least the weather was improving. The fog and cloud from earlier had cleared, revealing a clear clue sky and blazing sun. Normal service resumed.

After lunch, as the girls headed to the swimming pool and with the market closed for the day, I ambled down to the supermarket for some inspiration for dinner.

It came from the butcher's counter where I bought three chicken legs (thigh and drumstick attached) along with some fresh salad, rice, garlic-infused olive oil and some piri-piri seasoning.

After marinating the chicken legs in the oil and piri-piri for a few hours, I simply roasted them (around 40 minutes at 180) and, after resting them covered with foil whilst I cooked the rice and prepared a salad, served them scattered with a little fresh parsley along with the rice, salad and some crusty bread drizzled with the garlic olive oil.

Oh, and, ironically, a white wine bearing the name Mundus on the label!

We still hope to find Mundus (the restaurant) before we leave. Once I find a wi-fi signal and get an internet connection (when, incidentally, I'll also be posting all of these blog entries) I'll look up the place online and get the postcode. Presuming, of course, that the place still exists. Until then, we're sticking with Sao Martinho. They're not short of a restaurant, that's for sure.

The Bloke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Hero?

The Axefactor